Authentic Brazilian Açaí Bowl
I'm super excited to share with you today a recipe given to me by the lovely Cristina from Pure Jungle Acai. Cristina is native to Brazil where the açaí berry is grown so this is truly as authentic as it gets! The short ingredient list in this recipe really allows the beauty of the açaí to shine through, it's so awesome, you've got to try it! Pure Jungle Açaí really is the most delicious I have ever tried, so do try and get your hands on a pack.
History tells us that our Brazilian natives discovered the healing properties of the açaí berry thousands of years ago, as they found that it boosted their energy when consumed regularly. Because of its extraordinarily high nutritional value, indigenous tribes also used acai to treat various illnesses and support a quick recovery. It has also been said to have sustained natives of the Amazon during times of famine!
Nowadays it can be found almost everywhere. Many people only consume it because it is seen as trendy, without understanding how powerful the berry actually is! Its combination of antioxidants, amino acids and omega fatty acids all help slow the aging process by boosting immune and metabolic function, as well as by reducing the destructive free radicals from our bodies. Not to mention that the açaí berry contains just about all the the vitamins and minerals found in most other fruits and packs in more grams of protein than an egg!
- 3 heaping tbsp Pure Jungle organic açaí powder
- 12 cubes of ice
- 1 medium banana, sliced and frozen is great
- 1 tbsp pure organic maple syrup or raw honey
- Water; just enough to get the ingredients blending but keep it thick and frosty!
- Toppings: sliced mango, granola, berries, coconut, bee pollen, banana, chia seeds, goji berries...
The How To
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender until smooth, thick and creamy, scoop into a bowl and top with your favourite toppings.
I'd love to see your recreations of this recipe - tag me on instagram @recoveringraw and hashtag with #recoveringraw!