Creamy Almond Milk
Almond milk is just so incredible when it's homemade - nothing like the watery, shelf-stable stuff you can buy from the supermarket! This version is perfectly sweet, creamy and additive-free. It's incredible in smoothies (like this one), to make your porridge with, in baking and even to drink on its own. I hope you love this as much as I do, it's one of my staples and I make a big bottle every week!
If you're not yet entirely convinced to go dairy free, this plant-based milk might just change that. Our higher than ever rates of osteoporosis and our even higher consumption of dairy products are thought to be linked - you research that one for yourself. Either way, this almond milk is a delicious, nourishing alternative that will leave your body happy - and unlike dairy milk, almond milk is alkalising and rich in the beauty nutrient Vitamin E. Drink up!
Almonds are particularly rich in vitamin E (an antioxidant) which mops up free radicals and keeps the skin looking youthful in addition to protecting the cardiovascular system. They are rich in fibre (about 12%), so keep the pulp from this recipe, freeze it and add it into smoothies for a fibre boost.
This almond milk is...
- Naturally sweet,
- Rich and creamy,
- Packed with nutrients,
- ... and highly versatile.
CREAMY ALMOND MILK
Soak time: 8 hours
Make time: 5 minutes
Makes: approx. 750mL
- 2/3 cup almonds, soaked in water overnight
- 2 medjool dates, pitted (omit if you prefer your milk unsweetened)
- 3 cups filtered water
- Pinch salt
- Splash of vanilla extract or a pinch of vanilla powder
THE HOW TO
- Begin by rinsing your almonds really well and draining them. Place them in a blender with the remaining ingredients.
- Blend everything for a minute or two on the highest setting until frothy and well combined.
- Squeeze and strain through a nut milk bag or piece of cheese cloth (you can dry the pulp out in the oven or a dehydrator and then blitz in a food processor to be used as almond meal).
- Transfer to an airtight bottle and keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.