Strawberry Jam Shake
This shake is perhaps my favourite creation ever. It's smooth, sweet, velvety, thick and creamy - all without the use of any banana! I know that lots of people don't like bananas, yet they're so often necessary in shakes and smoothies to give them that delicious thickness that they're known for. I don't want anyone to be missing out on the wonderful world of liquid nutrition, so here, I've used a rather unexpected ingredient in place of banana, that will nourish you from the inside out and open your eyes to the incredible diversity of this magical ingredient.
Doesn't that look delicious? Like an overflowing glass of sweet strawberry yogurt from your childhood (only this version is dairy free and much kinder to your body). The secret ingredient here is one that you may not have considered adding to smoothies before - young coconut flesh. Much lower in fat than matured coconut, the meat of the young coconut is rich in dietary fibre, contains an abundance of vitamins, antioxidants and minerals including potassium and is also a source of medium-chain fatty acids, which are directly used by the body for fuel rather than stored for later use. No wonder they call coconut palms the tree of life!
- Flesh and water of 1 young coconut
- 1 slice of peeled organic beetroot
- 1 cup frozen organic strawberries
- 1-2 tsp raw honey
The How To
- Young coconuts can be opened by banging a very sharp knife against the grain or with a cleaver. You may wish to look up a tutorial online. Simply drain the water out and scoop the creamy white flesh out with a spoon, removing any husk.
- Combine all ingredients in a high spend blender and blend away until super smooth!
I'd love to see your recreations of this recipe - tag me on instagram @recoveringraw and hashtag with #recoveringraw!
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this recipe, so don't forget to comment, like and share! ♥